Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968)

 
 
Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
1. Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) Marker
Inscription.  H. Rodney Sharp was only 16 when he entered Delaware College in 1896, and he graduated four years later in what was termed the "Class of aughty-aught." In 1915, he was appointed a Trustee.

Mr. Sharp was deeply loyal to his alma mater. He secured the firm of Day & Klauder to develop a campus master plan and engaged internationally renowned landscape architect Marian Cruger Coffin. Their resulting plans are both still followed.

From 1915-68, Mr. Sharp supported many project, including construction of Mitchell Hall. His remarkable gifts constitute a major portion of the University's endowment, and, importantly, he enlisted the support of his brother-in-law, P.S. du Pont, who also became a significant benefactor.

This laboratory and a residence hall are named for Mr. Sharp. The beauty of the campus and the quality of academic programs are also his legacies.
 
Erected by University of Delaware.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducationWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
 
Location.
Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
2. Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
39° 40.878′ N, 75° 45.149′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Green south of East Delaware Avenue (Delaware Route 273), on the left. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Professor Theodore Wolf (1850-1909) (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilbur Owen Sypherd (1877-1955) (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert W. Gore, B.ChE., 1959 (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); E. A. Trabant University Center (about 400 feet away); In Memoriam (about 400 feet away); Samuel Chiles Mitchell (1864-1948) (about 400 feet away); Pierre Samuel du Pont (1870-1954) (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
More about this marker. There are 2 markers on campus dedicated to this person, H. R. Sharp. They stand in front of Sharp Hall and Sharp Laboratory; those buildings are close together and are not to be confused.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on July 12, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152662

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2021