Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
George Abram Harter (1853-1943)
George Abram Harter served as President of Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, from 1896 to 1914. A quiet scholar who enjoyed teaching, he was an administrator respected for his unwavering dedication to the college.
Under his leadership, student enrollment doubled, the fraternity system was established, the first yearbook was published, the first athletics director was hired, the Cooperative Extension Service was begun and Mechanical Hall was constructed. He was also instrumental in helping to establish the Women's College, which opened in 1914.
A gift of benefactor Pierre S. du Pont, Harter Residence Hall was constructed in 1917.
Erected by University of Delaware.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women. In addition, it is included in the University of Delaware 🎓 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 39° 40.962′ N, 75° 45.145′ W. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 The Green, Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944) (within shouting distance of this marker); Of Rural New Castle County (within shouting distance of this marker); Elliott Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Alumni Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilbur Owen Sypherd (1877-1955) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jastak-Burgess Hall (about 300 feet away); The Diamonds Walkway (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
More about this marker. In photo #4, from left to right (i.e. from north to south) we see a 3 story part, then a 4 story part whose south end adjoins the north end of Sharp Hall. The George Abram Harter marker is to right of the left entrance door and just to right of black light standard (but to left of the silver-colored flagpole). From the right entrance door, we proceed to the right to a window and then immediately to the Harter Hall plaque.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on July 13, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4. submitted on July 12, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.