Sonoma in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mission San Francisco Solano
On July 4, 1823, Padre Jose Altimira founded this northernmost of California’s Franciscan Missions. The only one established under independent Mexico. In 1834 secularization orders were carried out by military Commandant Mariano G. Vallejo. San Francisco Solano became a parish church serving the Pueblo and Sonoma Valley until sold in 1881.
This plaque replaces one originally dedicated by the Historical Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West, 1926.
Erected 1963 by California State Parks Commission, and Sonoma Parlor No.111 Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number 3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1810.
Location. 38° 17.62′ N, 122° 27.355′ W. Marker is in Sonoma, California Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 E Spain St, Sonoma CA 95476, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The End of the Mission Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Mission San Francisco Solano Sacred Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Blue Wing Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Vasquez House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sonoma Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Toscano Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Raising of the Bear Flag (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Toscano Hotel (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sonoma.
Regarding Mission San Francisco Solano. This site is California Historical Landmark No. 3.
Also see . . . San Francisco Solano. California Missions Foundation website entry (Submitted on February 18, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
1. Mission San Francisco Solano
The northernmost and the last of 21 California missions, the site was selected by Fr. Jose Altimira in 1823. The mission was named for a Peruvian saint. The building is not the
In 1881, in a ruined condition, the building was sold to Soloman Schocken who used it variously as a hay barn, winery and blacksmith shop. The building was substantially weakened by the 1906 earthquake.
The restored adobe has been stuccoed and features wood lintels, hand-hewn timbers tied together with leather thongs and a tile roof supported on boughs. The earthen floor is bricked and tiled. The original Mission bell hangs under a heavy beam. A large clump of ancient cactus fills most of the north side. The cupola was added to the peak of the front gable roof about 1850. Although extensively altered through restoration, the Mission represents the establishment of contemporary history in Sonoma.
Source: Sonoma Walking Tour Brochure
— Submitted January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
Additional keywords. California Missions
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 31,601 times since then and 378 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week April 17, 2011. Photos: 1. submitted on August 17, 2023, by Joseph Alvarado of Livermore, California. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 12, 13. submitted on January 17, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 14. submitted on January 18, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 15. submitted on April 14, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 16. submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 17. submitted on February 16, 2011.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo or postcard image of the original plaque mentioned in marker text. • Can you help?