Harrodsburg in Mercer County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The Big Spring
The site of the First Permanent Settlement West of the Alleghenies, which became present-day Harrodsburg, is firmly connect to this spring. This site was chosen because of the never-ending flow of fresh, clean water - and for the creek that it supplies. Situated in the middle of the territory, the spring is surrounded by open, fertile, tillable land that offered numerous benefits.
During a surveying trip, James Harrod led a group of men from their landing point on the Kentucky River to this very site, which he determined to be the best location for the new settlement. Under a sprawling Elm tree that stood about 100 yards downstream, the men laid down their packs, made a fire, relaxed, and enjoyed their first meal on the site of the township they would develop. Soon it became their evening routine to gather under the Elm adjacent to the spring, having spent the day exploring, scouting and surveying the new land. Importantly, though John Lythe of the Church of England has been noted as the first preacher in Kentucky (April 1775), it was under that same Elm tree that Rev. Thomas Tinsley and Rev. William Hickman preached the first
During those early years, the people of "Harrod's Town" used this spring and the Town Branch creek for fresh drinking water, cooking, laundry, and bathing as well as for the watering of gardens and livestock. It became the life blood of the growing settlement.
Erected by Joseph's Dream.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1775.
Location. 37° 45.901′ N, 84° 50.272′ W. Marker is in Harrodsburg, Kentucky, in Mercer County. Marker is at the intersection of East Factory Street and Pioneer Way, on the right when traveling east on East Factory Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 426 E Factory St, Harrodsburg KY 40330, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Big Spring" (a few steps from this marker); Charles Ficklin / Alexander Buchanan House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hogue / Williams House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Baptist Tabernacle of The Wilderness (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wilderness Revival (approx. 0.2 miles away); Muscoe Garnett House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Woodsland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lucy Newton Cogar House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrodsburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.