Cannonball Stage Station
This station was built in 1877 by the Northwestern Express and Transportation Company which dominated passenger and freight traffic over the trail. Late in 1880, when a shorter trail originating at Pierre was opened, the Bismarck route declined and soon thereafter this station was abandoned. The trail subsequently served area settlers and ranchers until a modern road system was developed.
Depressions marking the location of the station buildings are still visible and wheel ruts can be seen in the undisturbed prairie to the Southwest and Northeast
Erected 1974 by State Historic Society of North Dakota.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 46° 13.3′ N, 101° 28.645′ W. Marker is near Carson, North Dakota, in Grant County. Marker is on 53rd Avenue Southwest one mile south of 82nd Street Southwest, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8293 53rd Ave SW, Carson ND 58529, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bismarck-Deadwood Stage Trail (here, next to this marker); Passenger Coaches (a few steps from this marker).
Also see . . . Cannonball Stage Station State Historic Site. (Submitted on August 2, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.