Slant Indian Village
The Mandan tribe moved into North Dakota from the south and the ruins of their abandoned villages were present in this state from the South Dakota state line north to the Berthold Reservation.
The ditch or dry moat was restored on this site in 1935 at the location of the original. The five earth lodges restored during the same year are typical of the dwellings inhabited by the Mandan
The plat at the left shows the principal topographical features and the location of the earth lodge ruins on the Slant Village site. The plat at the right indicates the major known Indian village sites along the Missouri River in the vicinity of Slant Village.
Erected 1956 by State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Native Americans.
Location. 46° 46.016′ N, 100° 50.793′ W. Marker is near Mandan, North Dakota, in Morton County. Marker can be reached from Fort Lincoln Road. Located at the Mandan Village Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4482 Fort Lincoln Rd, Mandan ND 58554, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civilian Conservation Corps (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civilian Conservation Corps Project (about 300 feet away); Commanding Officer’s Quarters (about 400 feet away); Powder Magazines (approx. 0.3 miles away); Laundress' Quarter: "Suds Row" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Schoolhouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Scouts (approx. 0.3 miles away); Barracks (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mandan.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 19, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.