Eagle Harbor in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fog Signal Building
This building has 10 inch thick walls, filled with sawdust, and covered inside and out with sheet metal. It housed boilers, compressors, and other equipment needed to support the fog signal. The eighteen-inch whistles on the roof, in this photograph, produced the signal with steam pressure. In later years, an air-driven diaphone foghorn produced a deep-throated warning signal that traveled for a long distance. A radio beacon transmitter was installed in this building in 1929 for use in conjunction with the foghorn.
The fog signal was decommissioned in 1978 and replaced by a bell buoy, which is anchored near the entrance to Eagle Harbor.
The Keweenaw county Historical society formally opened this building as a museum on July 17, 1983.
Supply Dock Leading to the Fog Signal Building at the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse
The steel ships Marigold, Amaranth,
The Lighthouse Tender would anchor offshore and a scow would be lowered to the water, transferring lamp oil, coal, and maintenance supplies to this dock.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 17, 1983.
Location. 47° 27.587′ N, 88° 9.59′ W. Marker is in Eagle Harbor, Michigan, in Keweenaw County. Marker can be reached from Lighthouse Road north of East North Street. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject Fog Signal Building, to the left of the east/front entrance. The Fog Signal Building is on the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse grounds, just west of the lighthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 670 Lighthouse Road, Mohawk MI 49950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eagle Harbor Lighthouse and Museums (within shouting distance of this marker); Wood-Stock Anchor (within shouting distance of this marker); Riveted Bell Buoy (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan DNR Marina (within shouting distance of this marker); Eagle Harbor Entrance Channel and Range Lights (within shouting distance of this marker); Iron-Stock Anchor (within shouting distance of this marker); Eagle Harbor (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Eagle Harbor General Store (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagle Harbor.
Also see . . . Eagle Harbor Lighthouse. In 1890, the Lighthouse Board noted that a steam fog signal would be a “valuable addition” at Eagle Harbor, but it wouldn’t be until March 2, 1895 that Congress provided $5,000 for its construction. The ten-inch steam whistle was in operation for roughly 300 hours each year and consumed around 26 tons of coal, but in 1907, the fog signal blasted for a record 544 hours, while being fed 43 tons of coal. (Submitted on July 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.