Martinsville in Clark County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Linn Family / The Rowe Foundry Anvil
The Linn Family
The ancestors of the Linn Family immigrated from Ireland in 1809. They eventually settled in Parker Township in Clark County Illinois, near Westfield in 1864. Walter Linn and his family moved to Martinsville in the late 1800's where his son Alexander (Zanny) owned and operated a carriage & blacksmith shop from 1898 to the early 1950's. They were known for horse-shoeing, implement repair, and setting wagon and buggy wheels. The carriage and blacksmith shop was involved in the construction of the Ohio Oil Tank Farm (later known as Marathon Petroleum) in the early 1900's. The location of the blacksmith shop on east Vine Street made it convenient for repairs along the National Road, which was completed in Clark County in 1928. The Linns also owned a hardware store in downtown Martinsville from 1910-1928.
Alexander and his wife, Minnie Brayton Lindsey, had four children, Leland, Leanore, Lois, and Lloyd. Leland died at an early age; Leanore was a homemaker/historian; Lois worked as the bookkeeper at Littlejohn Grain for 49 years; and Lloyd moved to New York where he was a design engineer.
The Lois & Leanore Linn Foundation was established upon the death of Leanore in 2010, at her request. The purpose of the foundation is to benefit the community of Martinsville. Through the foundation, the Linn Park was established and an amphitheater was built, in honor of their love of music and gardening.
In cooperation with the Rowe Foundry, this anvil was placed in Linn Park as a memorial to Zanny Linn, the blacksmith.
The Rowe Foundry Anvil
The Rowe Foundry evolved from Elias Rowe's blacksmith shop in 1870, to Martin Allen (Al) Rowe's blacksmith, boiler-making and machine shop in 1901. The third generation son and founder, Edgar Rowe, melted his first iron in 1898, and built his first small melting cupola in 1910. This small cupola was the beginning of the Rowe Foundry which has continued to operate for more than 100 years and has grown into a business serving world-wide customers.
With a background in blacksmithing, and the ability to pour large castings the Rowe Foundry made what is believed to be the world's largest
The anvil weighs 5530 pounds. It is 78 inches long and 34 inches tall.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list.
Location. 39° 20.028′ N, 87° 52.868′ W. Marker is in Martinsville, Illinois, in Clark County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Mill Street, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Marker is near the southwestern point of Linn Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 E Main St, Martinsville IL 62442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Martinsville (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); John Lang (approx. 5.7 miles away); Rev. John Doughty (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Early Settlement of Cumberland (approx. 5.8 miles away); Casey (approx. 6.3 miles away); You Are Not Forgotten (approx. 6.4 miles away); Cumberland Presbyterian Church Bell (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Martinsville.
Also see . . .
1. Possible world's record anvil installed at Martinsville park. Before the plaques and the park sign were placed, the Rowe Foundry made an anvil that weighed 5,530 lbs in 2015. (Submitted on July 19, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
2. Rowe Foundry in Martinsville to close after 120 years in business. Reported from mywabashvalley.com on 1/3/2020. What was the icon of the community became a great loss. (Submitted on July 19, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.