Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Hereford in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Thompson House

 
 
The Thompson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen Lowrey, May 23, 2020
1. The Thompson House Marker
Inscription.  

Land developer S.S. Evants built this home in 1906. The following year Alex Thompson (1883-1956) bought the house and then sold it to his mother Jennie Thompson in 1908. Thompson, his wife Audrey (Argo), and their two daughters lived here with his mother and her sister Jessie Morris. "Aunt Jennie" and "Aunt Jessie" nursed patients and helped deliver babies in this home until a hospital was erected in 1924. District judges, court reporters, students, Baptist preachers and singers boarded here. The Thompson family were leaders in church and community affairs. (1979)
 
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5437.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Women.
 
Location. 34° 49.511′ N, 102° 23.902′ W. Marker is in Hereford, Texas, in Deaf Smith County. Marker is on Union Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 Union Avenue, Hereford TX 79045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hereford Christian College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hereford High School
The Thompson House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen Lowrey, May 23, 2020
2. The Thompson House and Marker
(approx. ¼ mile away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); Mothers Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ghost Towns (approx. 0.4 miles away); Two-Wheel Fire Hose Reel (approx. half a mile away); Former Site of St. Anthony's Catholic School (approx. half a mile away); Deaf Smith Courthouse (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hereford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2020. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Last updated on July 20, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021