Leighton in Colbert County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
History of Leighton
Leighton developed at the intersection of the Byler Road (1819) and the Tuscumbia - Courtland Stage Road (1820), where the Jeffers/Gregg Tavern served the needs of travelers as early as 1810. Leighton was named for William Leigh, first merchant and postmaster (1824). LaGrange College was established 4 miles SW in 1830. The railroad from Tuscumbia to Decatur was completed in 1834 and much cotton was shipped over it. A Masonic hall/union church was erected in 1837. After the Battle of Town Creek, fought 4 miles east, April 28, 1863, Union troops burned stores, homes, and the college. Leighton was rebuilt and became a thriving commercial center for the surrounding area. The town was incorporated in 1891.
Main Street (County Line Road) divided Colbert and Lawrence counties until 1895 when the boundary was moved to Town Creek. The weekly Leighton News (1890-1915) was published by F.W. McCormack. By 1910, the town had seven general merchandise stores, three groceries, five cotton buyers,
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Leighton.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 42.177′ N, 87° 31.734′ W. Marker is in Leighton, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and King Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Located in front of Leighton City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8900 Main Street, Leighton AL 35646, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of Leighton United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); LaGrange College (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named LaGrange College (approx. 3.4 miles away); LaGrange Military AcademyWilliam Leigh (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Old Brick Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Howell & Graves School (approx. 6.4 miles away); History of Muscle Shoals, Alabama (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leighton.
Also see . . . Wikipedia on the town of Leighton. (Submitted on July 20, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 20, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.