Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Stoney Nurses Home

of the Lamar School of Nursing

 
 
Stoney Nurses Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 17, 2005
1. Stoney Nurses Home Marker
Inscription.  This building, named for Dr. George N. Stoney, a prominent local black physician, opened in 1909 to house students of Lamar School of Nursing. The school, founded in 1897 by Lucy Craft Laney and Dr. William H. Doughty, was one of the first nursing schools for blacks in the South and trained students for work at Lamar Hospital, which opened in 1895 for black patients. The building was vacated in 1955 when the school was disbanded, though black nurses continued training at University Hospital. It is presently occupied by the Medical College of Georgia School of Nursing.
 
Erected 2001 by The Georgia Historical Society, Medical College of Georgia, and Lamar School of Nursing Alumnae Association. (Marker Number 121-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducationScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 33° 28.12′ N, 81° 59.084′ W. Marker is in Augusta
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Saint Sebastian Way and R.A. Dent Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on Saint Sebastian Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Medical College of Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Haines Normal and Industrial Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. John M. Tutt (approx. 0.2 miles away); John McClinton Tutt (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lucy Craft Laney (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Augusta Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away); George Walton (approx. half a mile away); Meadow Garden (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,261 times since then and 14 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on January 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 6, 2020