Jelm in Albany County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Woods Landing Dance Hall
The community of Woods Landing was established in the 1880s by Mr. Samuel S. Wood (1841-1901), who operated sawmills located near this site. Mr. Wood supplied ties to the Union Pacific Railroad. Wood himself owned and operated a saloon near this location to serve tie-hacks and travelers who stopped there when Woods Landing was a station along the Laramie-North Park Stage Route.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Entertainment • Settlements & Settlers • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1932.
Location. 41° 6.645′ N, 106° 0.733′ W. Marker is in Jelm, Wyoming, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Hansen's Road and State Highway 10, on the left when traveling south on Hansen's Road. Marker is located on the north side of the Woods Landing Country Store parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 Wyoming Highway 10, Jelm WY 82063, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regarding Woods Landing Dance Hall. National Register of Historic Places #85003210
Also see . . .
1. Woods Landing Dance Hall. The Woods Landing Dance Hall was a central gathering place for large numbers of Scandinavian immigrants in the area during the "tie hack" industry of the (Submitted on July 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Woods Landing Dance Hall. The Woods Landing Dance Hall, constructed in 1932, is important for its association with a locally significant individual named Mayme Lewellen Lestum, who owned and operated the property. It is significant as a local gathering place not only for dances, but smorgasbord, blood drives, fund raisers, weddings and other important occasions. It is also a stopping place for tourists. (Submitted on July 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Woods Landing Dance Hall (Wikipedia). The site had previously been the Woods Landing Saloon, established by Colonel Samuel Wood in 1883. The dance hall is of primarily log construction with an open log-truss roof. It measures about 40 feet by 67.5 feet on a stone and concrete foundation. The roof is a clipped gable, with a porch extension to the front over the large double entry doors. (Submitted on July 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.