Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Caseville in Huron County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, July 3, 2019
1. Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1868 the Reverend Manasseh Hickey and twelve settlers organized a Methodist Episcopal church in Caseville. Services were held in a schoolhouse until the present church was built. Upon its dedication on November 15, 1874, the Gothic-inspired structure, with its seventy-foot-high steeple, became a focal point for the community. Local contractor William Ormiston built the church, which contains stained glass windows by McFadden and Reed of New York City. In 1907 a basement was excavated, and in 1940 the memorial windows were installed. Over the years the steeple, which provided a landmark for Saginaw Bay boaters, was racked by structural problems and lightning, and had to be continually repaired. In 1974 the spire was replaced with a duplicate of the original.
 
Erected 1995 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1725.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels.
 
Location. 43° 56.673′ 
Methodist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, July 3, 2019
2. Methodist Episcopal Church
The main entrance to the church featuring the steeple that serves as an important landmark to the sailors out on Saginaw Bay.
N, 83° 16.403′ W. Marker is in Caseville, Michigan, in Huron County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Michigan Route 25) and Riverside Drive, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6490 Main St, Caseville MI 48725, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pigeon Depot (approx. 8 miles away); Stagecoaches (approx. 8.1 miles away); Bay Port Fishing District (approx. 8.1 miles away); Great Fire of 1881 (approx. 10 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Blog entry about marker. (Submitted on July 26, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills.)
 
Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Garman, July 3, 2019
3. Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Historical Marker shown in relation to the front entrance of the church, looking east.
Methodist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, July 3, 2019
4. Methodist Episcopal Church
From the parking lot behind the church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 26, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021