Wheeler in Wheeler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built 1891 by F. M. Patton, a rancher; native stone with cottonwood framing. Part of lumber came from abandoned Fort Elliott. Barn was one of first in county; used to store prairie hay, alfalfa. W. G. Stiles family, owners, purchased ranch in 1901.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3955.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture.
Location. 35° 28.154′ N, 100° 4.802′ W. Marker is in Wheeler, Texas, in Wheeler County. Marker can be reached from Stiles Ranch Road. This Marker is on private property, Mrs. Stiles was gracious to allow the contributor to look at it and take pictures. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wheeler TX 79096, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rock School (approx. 1.8 miles away); Center Cemetery (approx. 10.9 miles away); Wheeler County (approx. 11 miles away); Wheeler County Jail Wheeler County Courthouse (approx. 11 miles away); The Millie Porter House (approx. 11.1 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 11.2 miles away); Wheeler Cemetery (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeler.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 26, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.