Canadian in Hemphill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Eller Flat Cemetery
Also known as Prairie Dell Cemetery, this burial ground has served eastern Hemphill county since 1895, when Dora Calhoun, an infant, was interred here. George W. Little, a landowner in the then-thriving Eller Flat community, donated property for her gravesite. Charles H. and Jesse Rutter purchased Little’s land in 1905, and continued to allow community residents to use the burial ground. In 1912, the Eller Flat Cemetery Association purchased this property, which contained about 35 graves. By 1917, residents built Prairie Dell School (0.7 mi. W), which became associated with the cemetery. Today, Eller Flat (Prairie Dell) Cemetery continues to serve area residents.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2008
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15855.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 35° 48.985′ N, 100° 2.439′ W. Marker is in Canadian, Texas, in Hemphill County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canadian TX 79014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Military Road (approx. 9.1 miles away); 133 Yards East to Site of Historic Cottonwood (approx. 9.2 miles away); Site of Old Springer's Road Ranch (approx. 9.3 miles away); Cataline Cemetery (approx. 9.4 miles away); Zybach Cemetery (approx. 16 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 26, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.