Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Colonel William G. Cooke
To the memory of Colonel William G. Cooke and forty other members of the Regular Army Republic of Texas who camped in this vicinity in October, 1840 while locating the Central National Highway. The importance of this military road in the history of Dallas will not be forgotten.
Erected 1936 by Erected by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 6657.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 32° 44.525′ N, 96° 48.751′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of South Ewing Avenue and 13th Street, in the median on South Ewing Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dallas TX 75203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oak Cliff United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Officer J.D. Tippit (approx. half a mile away); W.H. Adamson High School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cliff Temple Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tenth Street Historic District Freedman's TownOak Cliff Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Texas Theatre (approx. 0.8 miles away); Frank Reaugh (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
More about this marker. This white granite marker is in the traffic triangle between South Ewing Avenue, 13th Street and East Clarendon Drive. It is close to the entrance for the Dallas Zoo.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.