Woodstown in Salem County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Center of Town
Historic Woodstown NJ
E. W. Humphreys, 1863-1942
Edward W. Humphreys left a precious legacy of several hundred photographs that he had taken from 1865 to about 1930.
President Woodrow Wilson
Woodrow Wilson campaigned for Governor of New Jersey in the center of Woodstown in 1910. Woodrow Wilson has been the only governor of New Jersey to be elected President of the United States. He was elected governor in November 1910, and two years later he was elected President.
The First National Bank
The First National Bank of Woodstown was completed in 1892 and is a testament to the growing influence of banking in the late-nineteenth century. The Romanesque Revival Building, detailed with Perth Amboy Pompeiian brick and red sandstone was designed by Philadelphia architect Albert W. Dilks. The two-and-a-half story building looms large with an open-arched tower rising seventy feet above the entrance. The tower is surmounted by a slate-clad irregular octagonal pyramidal roof capped by a weather vane.
A Pantaloon Factory
The two-story brick building in the background on West Avenue was erected
The Bassett House
The Bassett House was located a few houses from the center of town on North Main Street and in 1908 was moved to Allen Avenue, as shown in the photo.
The Old Public Pump
In the center of Woodstown the old public pump stood for many years to serve the public.
Albert W. Dilks
Albert W. Dilks, a Philadelphia architect, designed The First National Bank of Woodstown in 1892 and later Woodstown High School in 1916.
1895 Granite Drinking Fountain
Under the leadership of a Committee of Women, the old public pump was replaced by an attractive stork fountain, a granite drinking fountain, and a granite horse trough (the trough can be seen in the Bassett photo to the left). This oasis provided refreshment for the eye and quenched the thirst of man and beast for many years until the overwhelming volume of modern vehicles. The drinking fountain was removed around 1936 and relocated to the Woodstown Memorial Lake until 2020 when the fountain returned to this location.
The Hunt Building
The Hunt Building was built in 1869 and has had many businesses throughout the years. Some of the businesses included a hardware and paint store, harness store, farm machinery business, barber
The return of the 1895 granite drinking fountain and this landscaped area were dedicated on March 8, 2020 to the memory of Estelle Sherman, who served for 18 years on Woodstown Borough Council, and was its first female member.
Erected 2020 by Woodstown Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Arts, Letters, Music • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #28 Woodrow Wilson series list.
Location. 39° 39.095′ N, 75° 19.692′ W. Marker is in Woodstown, New Jersey, in Salem County. Marker is at the intersection of West Avenue (U.S. 40) and North Main Street (New Jersey Route 45), on the right when traveling west on West Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 West Ave, Woodstown NJ 08098, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Red House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fire Ring (approx. 0.2 miles away); Garrison Memorial Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); School Buildings (approx. 0.4 miles away); School Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); County Bridges (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Fire Ring (approx. half a mile away); Spc. Richard C. Emmons III (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstown.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.