Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Salem in Salem County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Salem County Courthouse

 
 
Salem County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, July 26, 2020
1. Salem County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Oldest active courthouse in New Jersey and the second oldest in the United States. Built in 1735, this building was occupied by British troops during the Revolutionary War and later was the site of treason trials for British sympathizers. The courthouse was expanded in 1817 and 1908.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraGovernment & PoliticsWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 39° 34.318′ N, 75° 28.009′ W. Marker is in Salem, New Jersey, in Salem County. Marker is at the intersection of East Broadway (New Jersey Route 49) and Market Street (New Jersey Route 45), on the right when traveling west on East Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 Market St, Salem NJ 08079, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Il Sannito (here, next to this marker); Salem Fire Museum (a few steps from this marker); John Fenwick (a few steps from this marker); Star Hall Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); Finlaw Building (within shouting distance
Salem County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, July 26, 2020
2. Salem County Courthouse
of this marker); City of Salem Market Street Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); 179 West Broadway (within shouting distance of this marker); Salem County Clerk and Surrogate's Office (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
 
National Register of Historic Places plaque on the building image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, July 26, 2020
3. National Register of Historic Places plaque on the building
This property
is listed in the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 27, 2021