Marcellus in Onondaga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Great Genesee Road
This ancient Native American trail served as the main East-West route through Central NY. In 1794, work began to expand the route from Fort Schuyler and the Mohawk River to the Genesee River in Western NY creating "The Great Genesee Road". In 1800, the Seneca Road Company began a 10 year project to improve the existing road. This road locally became known as the "Seneca Turnpike” and was instrumental to the growth of Marcellus and other towns along its path. The Village of Marcellus' Main Street is a portion of the original route of "The Great Genesee Road".
Erected 2017 by National Society of the Daughters of the American Colonists, NYS Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1794.
Location. 42° 58.941′ N, 76° 20.334′ W. Marker is in Marcellus, New York, in Onondaga County. Marker is on East Main Street (New York State Route 174), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 E Main St, Marcellus NY 13108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceSite of Old Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Site of First Church Edifice (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Frame House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Tavern (about 500 feet away); Marcellus World Wars Memorial (about 600 feet away); First Sawmill (about 700 feet away); Steadman House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Marcellus Park (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marcellus.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.