Copper Harbor in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Copper Harbor Lighthouse
Built in 1848 and replaced by the present structure in the 1860s, the Copper Harbor lighthouse was among the first beacons on Lake Superior. Now automated and mounted on a steel tower, the light can be seen a distance of 12.5 miles at lake level.
Government lightkeepers and their families manned the light station into the 20th century. Drawing from historical, archaeological and architectural evidence, period room settings recreate the lighthouse as it appeared in the 1910s.
Part of Fort Wilkins State Park, the Copper Harbor Lighthouse is administered by the Michigan Department of History, Arts and Libraries in cooperation with the Department of Natural Resources. The Fort Wilkins Natural History Association is gratefully acknowledged for its support of this exhibit.
Today, museum exhibits and interpretive trails tell of the dangers of Lake Superior shipping and the duties and home life of lightkeepers' families. Breathtaking views are virtually unchanged since lightkeepers and their families cared for the Copper Harbor
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 47° 28.065′ N, 87° 51.952′ W. Marker is in Copper Harbor, Michigan, in Keweenaw County. Marker can be reached from Fanny Hoe Creek, 0.1 miles north of U.S. 41. Marker is mounted in a kiosk along the Copper Harbor trail in Astor Shipwreck Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Copper Harbor MI 49918, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "A Rallying Point for Copper Adventurers" (here, next to this marker); Shipwreck (here, next to this marker); Life on the Astor (a few steps from this marker); "You will call her the John Jacob Astor." (a few steps from this marker); "The Astor will never leave Copper Harbor." (a few steps from this marker); The Estivant Pines (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Wilkins State Park and Historic Complex (approx. 1.1 miles away); Copper Harbor (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Copper Harbor.
Regarding The Copper Harbor Lighthouse. National Register of Historic Places #12000305
Also see . . .
1. Copper Harbor Light (Wikipedia)(Submitted on July 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Copper Harbor Lighthouse. The second (1866) Copper Harbor Lighthouse was built with widely used plans and consists of a square, brick tower attached to the gable end of a one-and-a-half-story keeper’s dwelling. The forty-two-foot-tall tower is nine-feet, eight inches square and features a foot-thick outer wall and a four-inch-thick, circular, inner wall that encloses a cast-iron staircase for accessing the dwelling’s second floor and the decagonal lantern room. (Submitted on July 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Copper Harbor Light. In 1933, the decision was made to erect a 62-foot high steel skeleton tower. The Fresnel lens in the old lantern was a delicate assembly, and not intended to be installed in a location where it would (Submitted on July 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.