Glasgow in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pencader Presbyterian Church
On October 15, 1701, William Penn granted 30,000 acres of land to William Davies, David Evans, and William Willis "in behalf of themselves and Company of new Welsh Purchasers." Known as the Welsh Tract, this expansive holding attracted large numbers of settlers who had immigrated from Wales to Colonial America. The settlers soon established two churches, known respectively as Welsh Tract Baptist and Welsh Tract Presbyterian. The Presbyterian church was subsequently renamed "Pencader," a Welsh term meaning "chief chair or seat." The congregation's first recorded pastor was Rev. David Evans, who was serving as lay minister in 1710. Though the exact date of the construction of the first church is unknown, the "Meeting-House" had been standing for a number of years when the property was formally conveyed to trustees in 1742. The structure is believed to have been located in the eastern rear of the present cemetery. It was replaced in 1782-83 by a brick building that was used until 1852, when it was dismantled and the present church was built in its place.
The "Trustees of Pencader Presbyterian Church" were formally incorporated in
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-124.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1856.
Location. 39° 36.37′ N, 75° 44.723′ W. Marker is in Glasgow, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Glasgow Avenue (old Rt. 896) and Pulaski Highway (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling north on Glasgow Avenue (old Rt. 896). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aiken's Tavern Historic District (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The March Through Pencader (approx. one mile away); Mason Dixon Line & the Boundaries of Delaware (approx. one mile away); The Hundreds of Delaware (approx. one mile away); Marquis de Lafayette (approx. one mile away); Delaware Militia Exploring the Past of Pencader Hundred (approx. one mile away); Historic Iron Ore Mining (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glasgow.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,476 times since then and 66 times this year. Last updated on July 29, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.