Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glasgow in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Aiken's Tavern Historic District

 
 
Aiken's Tavern Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Nate Davidson, May 21, 2009
1. Aiken's Tavern Historic District Marker
Inscription.  In the years prior to the Revolutionary War, John Aiken commenced the operation of a tavern and storehouse at this location near the intersection of two of the major roadways of the Delmarva Peninsula. Aided by their proximity to this important crossroads, Aiken's businesses prospered and a small village was established as a result. Variously known as Aiken's Tavern, or Aiken Town, the community became known as Glasgow in the early 19th century. In 1977, the Aiken's Tavern Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Included are several properties with links to the early history and development of Glasgow. Of particular note is the Pencader Presbyterian Church, which was established by Welsh settlers in the early 18th century. The present church building was built in 1852. Also included in the District is The Manse, the former Presbyterian parsonage, constructed circa 1856. Opposite the church is the Middleton House and Store, built by merchant Robert Middleton in the late 1700s. The Aiken's Tavern Historic District also includes the cemetery and former site of Glasgow Methodist Church and Mechanics Row, a group
Looking at the marker from the south. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Adam Margolis, January 5, 2022
2. Looking at the marker from the south.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of connected dwellings that were constructed circa 1800 as homes for local tradesmen.
 
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-142.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1977.
 
Location. 39° 36.45′ N, 75° 44.75′ W. Marker is in Glasgow, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Glasgow Avenue (old Rt. 896), 0.1 miles north of Pulaski Highway (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pencader Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Delaware Militia (approx. one mile away); Exploring the Past of Pencader Hundred (approx. one mile away); Historic Iron Ore Mining (approx. one mile away); Mason Dixon Line & the Boundaries of Delaware (approx. one mile away); The March Through Pencader (approx. one mile away); The Hundreds of Delaware (approx. one mile away); Marquis de Lafayette (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glasgow.
 
Aiken's Tavern Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Adam Margolis, January 5, 2022
3. Aiken's Tavern Historic District Marker
Marker over 12 years later has slightly faded.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,102 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on July 29, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1. submitted on January 9, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland.   2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2022, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=153860

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 19, 2022