Near Copper Harbor in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Copper Country
The explorer, Jacques Cartier, reported in 1536 that Indians on the St. Lawrence River told him of great hills of native copper far to the west.
The Jesuit, Father Claude Allouez, was the first white man to report seeing copper along the south shore of Lake Superior. This was in 1666.
In 1771 a company organized in London England which sent an unsuccessful expedition to these shores to mine copper.
A treaty between the U.S. Government and the Chippewa Indians on March 12th 1843 opened the district to mining.
During the succeeding years mines were discovered that for two generations produced a large percentage of the world’s copper. The first successful mine was the Cliff Mine near Phoenix on U.S. 41. It was started in 1844. The Conglomerate Lode at Calumet produced over 4,000,000,000 lbs. of copper and paid over $160,000,000 in dividends. Scattered along U.S. 41 and M-26 you will find road-side markers that record only a small percentage
Erected 2008 by Keweenaw County Road Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 47° 27.869′ N, 87° 58.116′ W. Marker is near Copper Harbor, Michigan, in Keweenaw County. Marker is on Brockway Mountain Drive 4 miles west of Gratiot Street (State Highway 26), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located at the West Bluff overlook on Brockway Mountain Drive, overlooking Lake Superior to the north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Copper Harbor MI 49918, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Corridor to the World (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wired for Light & Sound (about 300 feet away); Connecting with Wilderness (approx. 2.2 miles away); Tracing the StoryIsle Royale National Park (approx. 3.7 miles away); Copper Harbor (approx. 3.7 miles away); Fort Wilkins State Park and Historic Complex (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Estivant Pines (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Copper Harbor.
Also see . . . Treaty of La Pointe (Wikipedia). The first treaty of La Pointe was signed by Robert Stuart for the United States and representatives of the Ojibwe Bands of Lake Superior and the Mississippi River on October 4, 1842 and proclaimed on March 23, 1843. By this treaty, the Ojibwa ceded extensive tracts of land that are now parts of the states of Wisconsin and Michigan, specifically the latter's Upper Peninsula. (Submitted on July 30, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 30, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.