Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Kent Hall

Kent Dining Hall

 
 
Kent Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
1. Kent Hall Marker
Inscription.  
Kent Residence Hall, constructed in 1956, is named after Kent County, located in the central part of Delaware and home of the First State's capital city of Dover.

The adjoining Kent Dining Hall predates the residence hall by 31 years. The Delaware General Assembly appropriated funds for its construction to meet the needs of the growing Women's College of Delaware, which after being merged with Delaware College, became the University of Delaware.

Benefactor Pierre S. du Pont also contributed to the construction of the dining hall through the organization, Service Citizens of Delaware. This donation made possible the addition of the arched window hall and other architectural details that grace the building.
 
Erected by University of Delaware.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducationWomen. In addition, it is included in the University of Delaware 🎓 series list.
 
Location. 39° 40.567′ N, 75° 45.101′ 
Kent Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
2. Kent Hall Marker
W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Green north of East Park Place, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 273 The Green, Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sussex Hall (a few steps from this marker); New Castle Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Squire Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Winifred J. Robinson (1867-1962) (within shouting distance of this marker); Emalea Pusey Warner (1853-1948) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Laurel Hall (about 300 feet away); Annie Jump Cannon (1863-1941) (about 300 feet away); The Magnolia Circle (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Additional comments.
1.
The photograph is of Kent Hall, with Kent Dining Hall blocked from view as it is directly behind. Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted July 27, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.
 
Kent Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Gordon Moore Jr., July 30, 2020
3. Kent Hall Marker
Closer view from the mall; brown plaque obscured by a black railing near 2nd floor door, but has same format as Cannon Hall plaque:
Kent
Hall
Erected in 1955
Kent Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Gordon Moore Jr., July 29, 2020
4. Kent Hall Marker
View is to south; Kent Hall (residence) is on right, and Kent Dining Hall is to left. Off camera to photographer's right are the rear of Cannon and New Castle halls.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on July 30, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   3. submitted on July 30, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.   4. submitted on July 29, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021