Grand Prairie in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dr. H.V. Copeland Home
Early Grand Prairie resident Barney P. Hale and his wife Ruth built this home for their family in 1902. The white clapboard residence, which features narrow windows and a high-pitched roof, is typical of early area farmhouses. In 1908 the Hales sold their home to local physician Dr. Horace Victor Copeland (1875 - 1969). A native of the pioneer Watson Community in Tarrant County, now part of the City of Arlington, Dr. Copeland was educated at Barnes University in St. Louis and Fort Worth University, where he graduated with a medical degree in 1901. After practicing medicine in Euless for a year, he moved to Grand Prairie, then a small railroad town of 500 people. Here he served residents of the surrounding rural area, often making calls on horseback. During his local medical career, which spanned more than fifty years, he delivered over 4,000 babies.
Dr. Copeland was a prominent community leader and was active in the First Presbyterian Church and the Sam R. Hamilton Masonic Lodge. He and his wife Frances Willard Watson Copeland were the parents of two children, Frances and H. Victor. Following Dr. Copeland's death in 1969 the
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6658.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Science & Medicine.
Location. 32° 44.581′ N, 97° 0.285′ W. Marker is in Grand Prairie, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on SW Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 SW Dallas Street, Grand Prairie TX 75051, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grand Prairie Airfield (approx. 0.8 miles away); Avion Village (approx. 0.9 miles away); Old Southland Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); LiveStone Lodge No. 152, F. & A. M. (approx. 1.4 miles away); Jordan-Bowles House (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hensley Field (approx. 2.7 miles away); Jordan-Hight Family Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); West Fork United Presbyterian Church (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Prairie.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 173 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 31, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.