Near Harbor Beach in Huron County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
White Rock School
Erected 1976 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number L202.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 43° 42.527′ N, 82° 36.778′ W. Marker is near Harbor Beach, Michigan, in Huron County. Marker is on Grant Street south of White Rock Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "White Rock": The History, Oral Traditions, and Tales (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Territory of Michigan and "White Rock" (approx. 0.6 miles away); Frank Murphy (approx. 9˝ miles away).
Regarding White Rock School. White Rock, which is 9.9 miles south of Harbor Beach, is a tiny unincorporated community of Sherman Township at the mouth of White Rock Creek on the shore of Lake Huron. The community is named for a large white boulder located offshore in Lake Huron. This boulder (which was several times larger back then than it is now) was used as a boundary marker to define the territory ceded by the Ottawa, Chippewa, Wyandot, and Potawatomi nations with the Treaty of Detroit in 1807. Native Americans considered this rock as sacred ground and left offerings of food on it. Today, it is barely visible as high-water levels, erosion, and lightning strikes have reduced its size and visibility.
There are many stories about this rock, but one of the more popular ones describes the tale of a group of settlers who wanted to have a square dance on the rock. They were warned by local Native Americans that the rock was sacred and they should not go forward with their
The White Rock School Museum is located at 10124 White Rock Rd.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.