Lefors in Gray County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Native Americans and military forces have long camped at nearby springs that served as an oasis in the surrounding area. In 1852, U.S. Capt. Randolph B. Marcy led an expedition in search of the Red River headwaters, and his party camped here on June 16. Records of later military engagements and expeditions involving Col. Ranald S. MacKenzie, Gen. Nelson Miles and others also noted the springs. Archeological investigations have confirmed an 1874 battle between U.S. troops under Lt. Frank Baldwin and the forces of Cheyenne chief Grey Beard occurred in the general vicinity. Nearby development has dramatically decreased the flow of the historic Big Springs over the years.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13607.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 35° 26.096′ N, 100° 48.645′ W. Marker is in Lefors, Texas, in Gray County. Marker is on FM 2375, on the right when traveling west. The marker is on the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lefors TX 79054, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rescue of Two White Girls by Lt. Frank Baldwin (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Pampa Army Air Force Base (approx. 8.4 miles away); Red River Expedition of 1852 (approx. 9.2 miles away); Gray County (approx. 9.4 miles away); Eldridge Post Office (approx. 10.6 miles away); Woody Guthrie (approx. 10.8 miles away); Pioneer Cottage (approx. 10.9 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.