Lefors in Gray County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Rescue of Two White Girls by Lt. Frank Baldwin
Ten miles southwest of here Lieutenant Frank D. Baldwin commanding two companies of United States troops attacked a large band of Cheyenne Indians and rescued two white girl captives, November 8, 1874.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4250.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 35° 26.6′ N, 100° 48.467′ W. Marker is in Lefors, Texas, in Gray County. Marker is at the intersection of Park Street and Ninth Street when traveling north on Park Street. The marker is 160 feet north of the intersection of Park Street and Ninth Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lefors TX 79054, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Big Springs (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Pampa Army Air Force Base (approx. 7.8 miles away); Gray County (approx. 9.1 miles away); Red River Expedition of 1852 (approx. 9.3 miles away); Woody GuthriePioneer Cottage (approx. 10.7 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 10.7 miles away); White Deer Land Building (approx. 10.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.