Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944)
A New Englander born into modest means, Harry Fletcher Brown was a chemist who developed smokeless powder. In 1904, he joined the Du Pont Company and later became a benefactor of education and social services.
Mr. Brown was an intense, energetic man of few words. As a University Trustee, he financed construction of this laboratory, of its mirror image on The Green, Hullihen Hall, and of an enlargement to Memorial Hall. He also helped attract important faculty to the University, including Allan P. Colburn, who fostered the growth of the Department of Chemical Engineering.
Several faculty members hold H. Fletcher Brown Professorships, a fitting legacy for a man whose state goal was to combine sound teaching and productive research.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine.
Location. 39° 40.776′ N, 75° 45.113′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Green south of East Delaware Avenue (Delaware Route 273), on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 163 The Green, Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memoriam (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Walter J. Hullihen (1875-1944) (within shouting distance of this marker); University of Delaware (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierre Samuel du Pont (1870-1954) (within shouting distance of this marker); George Gillespie Evans (1815-1904) (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named In Memoriam (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lammot du Pont Laboratory (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
More about this marker. This marker is in front of Brown Laboratory (Brown Lab for short), and there is another marker in honor of this person, in front of Brown Hall (a dormitory) with distinct information.
Regarding Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944). Colburn Laboratory, elsewhere in this campus, is named for the Colburn mentioned here. So was (older) Colburn Hall, a dormitory since renamed Lane Hall because of confusion between those buildings.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on August 3, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.