Model 5 Autoflag "Wig-Wag" Crossing Signal
The Disappearing Banner Type Autoflag was designed to be placed at the side of the road, with the banner overhanging the roadway, plainly visible to approaching traffic.
This signal was installed at the Pennoyer Street grade crossing in Grand Haven in the 1920's by the Pere Marquette Railroad. It was replaced by more modern type signals in 1978.
The signal is now electrically activated and operates for one minute on the hour from 9 am. to 9 pm., Memorial Day to Labor Day.
It was donated to the City of Grand Haven by the Chessie System in 1982.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1982.
Location. 43° 4.054′ N, 86° 13.84′ W. Marker is in Grand Haven, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is on Jackson Street east of North 1st Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Haven MI 49417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pere Marquette Steam Locomotive (about 500 feet away, measured in
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2020, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2020, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.