Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Huntsville Female Seminary
The Seminary closed in 1862, but the building was used as a hospital for smallpox victims during the Civil War. The Seminary reopened in 1867 with the Rev. Henry R. Smith as principal. He was a Presbyterian minister, which may account for the long-held but unsubstantiated belief that the Seminary operated under the auspices of the Presbyterian Church. The Seminary closed in 1875. Between 1875 and 1910, the structure was used for a variety of educational institutions. It was razed by A. M. Booth in 1912.
Erected 2008 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Women.
Location. 34° 44.03′ N, 86° 34.764′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Randolph Avenue Southeast west of Calhoun Street Southeast, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 512 Randolph Avenue Southeast, Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Green Academy (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Twickenham Historic District (about 600 feet away); Site of Huntsville Female College (about 700 feet away); Central Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Temple B’nai Sholom (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Town Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); The Leroy Pope Mansion 1814 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. 4. submitted on August 6, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.