Fort Rice After General Sully's Expeditions
Fort Rice State Historic Site
Fort Rice was rebuilt in 1868 with more suitable materials and served another ten years of detachments. Between 1871 and 1873, Fort Rice served as the base for the three Yellowstone expeditions, which escorted parties surveying the route of the Northern Pacific Railroad. Four companies of the Fort Rice contingent of the 7th Calvary accompanied Lieutenant Colonel George A. Custer on his Black Hills expedition in 1874. Two companies fought in the Battle of the Little Bighorn. Others like Mathews, Slaughter, and Fisk would become associated with the military
Fort Rice was decommissioned on November 25, 1878, after the establishment of Fort Yates at the Standing Rock Agency. Building materials from the fort would become a part of a new fort constructed further north on the Missouri, Fort Abraham Lincoln, Dakota Territory. In 1913 the State of North Dakota acquired Fort Rice and in the 1940s the Works Progress Administration (WPA) marked the foundations of many of the buildings on site.
Middle left: Sitting Bull, August 2, 1881
Middle right: Chief Gall, ca 1882-1885
Lower left: Linda Warfel Slaughter drew this sketch of Fort Rice as it appeared in 1871, when she lived at the post with her husband, Frank Slaughter, the Post Surgeon. Later, she settled in Bismarck and was an educator, historian, and women's rights advocate in North Dakota.
Lower right: The four military posts directed to be built by General Pope were in response to the political pressure exerted by the Governor of Dakota Territory, William Jayne, Governor of Minnesota, Alex Ramsey, and others after the Dakota War of 1862. Additional pressure was being exerted by the War Department to establish a safe route for emigrants to the gold fields of Montana, Idaho, and west.
Erected by State Historical
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1866.
Location. 46° 30.769′ N, 100° 35.059′ W. Marker is near Fort Rice, North Dakota, in Morton County. Memorial can be reached from North Dakota Route 1806. Located at Fort Rice State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mandan ND 58554, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Founding of Fort Rice (here, next to this marker); Fort Rice (within shouting distance of this marker); Archaeological Excavations of Houses (approx. 7.8 miles away); Village Fortifications and Human Conflict (approx. 7.8 miles away); Huff Indian Village State Historic Site (approx. 7.9 miles away); Huff Indian Village Dates to AD 1443-1465 (approx. 7.9 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker in on skids so location might vary slightly.
Also see . . . Fort Rice State Historic Site. (Submitted on August 7, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?