Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
University of Delaware
A Brief History
South Green Campus Buildings
The University of Delaware traces its origins to a school founded by the Rev. Francis Alison in 1743, which later became the Academy of Newark. In 1833, the state of Delaware chartered its first institute of higher education, called Newark College, in Newark, which was closely tied to the academy. Later known as Delaware College, it—with a coordinate Women's College founded in 1914—became the University of Delaware in 1921.
The colonial revival buildings of the former Women's College face the south lawn of The Green. In 1920, Marian Cruger Coffin, one of the first female landscape architects in the country, designed a master plan for the University, creating this south lawn of The Green and connecting it to the north lawn to form a continual axis from Main Street to Park Place.
Erected by University of Delaware.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the University of Delaware series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1743.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 181 S College Avenue, Newark DE 19717, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Magnolia Circle (within shouting distance of this marker); Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Roselle Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Annie Jump Cannon (1863-1941) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rev. Dr. Francis Alison (1705-1779) (about 400 feet away); Lammot du Pont Laboratory (about 400 feet away); Winifred J. Robinson (1867-1962) (about 400 feet away); Memorial Hall (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
More about this marker.
1. Lammot duPont Laboratory 1993
2. Allison Hall 1953/1990 Addition
3. Cannon Hall 1951
4. New Castle Hall 1925
5. Kent Hall 1955
6. Sussex Hall 1917
7. Squire Hall 1957
8. Laurel Hall 1955/1992 Addition
9. Warner Hall 1913
10. Robinson Hall 1913
11. Morris Library 1963 / 1986 Addition
12. Memorial Hall 1924
1. Duplicate Marker
A duplicate of the marker exists on the green. The only differences visible are the locations and orientations on the maps.
— Submitted July 31, 2020.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 2, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on August 7, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 2, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3. submitted on August 7, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.