Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Easton in Talbot County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

“Canterbury Mannor”

1000 Acres.

 
 
"Canterbury Manor" 1000 Acres Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, November 3, 2007
1. "Canterbury Manor" 1000 Acres Marker
Inscription.  Laid out for Richard Tilghman Chirurgeon as “Mannor of Tilghman’s Fortune” 20th July 1659. Sold by him to Richard Preston 3rd Sept., 1665, as the “Mannor of Canterbury” “together with all royaltys and privileedges most usually belonging to Mannors in England.”
 
Erected by State Roads Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is July 20, 1659.
 
Location. 38° 43.521′ N, 76° 6.347′ W. Marker is near Easton, Maryland, in Talbot County. Marker is on Baileys Neck Road, one mile west of Maryland Route 333, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Easton MD 21601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peachblossom Meetinghouse (approx. 2.1 miles away); Bracing for an Attack (approx. 3 miles away); “Hole-in-the-Wall” (approx. 3.1 miles away); Old White Marsh Episcopal Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Robert Morris, Sr. (approx. 3.2
Canterbury Manor image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, November 3, 2007
2. Canterbury Manor
1000 Acres Patented 17 January 1659/60 to Richard Tilghman, citizen and chirurgeon of London, later Maryland planter. On this manor was first seated Dr. Richard Tilghman, who was granted by the Lord Baron of Baltimore the prerogatives of a "Court Baron and all things thereunto belonging by ye law or custome of England". He was the great-grandfather of Colonel Tench Tilghman, Aide-de-Camp to General George Washington in 1665 Dr. Tilghman conveyed the manor to Richard Preston, commissioner for the Province of Maryland under Oliver Cromwell and the Commonwealth of England for whom it was resurveyed and granted by Lord Baltimore with full manorial privileges of a Court Baron. Erected and dedicated April 23, 1950 The Descendants of Lords of the Maryland Manors through the good offices of W. Alton Jones.
Click or scan to see
this page online
miles away); Third Haven (approx. 3.3 miles away); William Penn (approx. 3.7 miles away); Archaeology at the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Easton.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Chiruregon
This was an early spelling of surgeon.
    — Submitted November 5, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
 
Entrance Gate to Canterbury Manor image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, November 3, 2007
3. Entrance Gate to Canterbury Manor
The dwelling is not visible from the road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,153 times since then and 80 times this year. Last updated on August 7, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=154340

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 22, 2022