Mound City, South Dakota
In 1864, General Alfred Sully passed here during his military campaign against the Sioux. Just to the west of here, Lt. Colonel George A. Custer passed in 1873 on his way to Fort Abraham Lincoln near Bismarck. From there, he explored the Black Hills in 1874 and in 1876, mounted a military campaign in Montana which included the Battle of the Little Big Horn.
In 1888, the county seat of Campbell County was moved from LaGrace, located near the Missouri River, to Mound City. Mound City remains the county seat today.
Erected by State of South Dakota.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hiddenwood Park (approx. 13.6 miles away); Flint Store and Post Office (approx. 15.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.