Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Harpeth Square / Harpeth Square and Historic Neighbors

 
 
Harpeth Square Marker image. Click for full size.
August 12, 2020
1. Harpeth Square Marker
Inscription.  (obverse)
Harpeth Square
Since 1805, there have been eight bridges along First Avenue North. Because of the destruction of the Harpeth River Bridge in 1862, approximately 800 Union Army wagons were forced to wait all day on November 30, 1864, while engineers prepared a temporary bridge about six inches above the water. Late in the afternoon, Confederate troops assaulted the waiting and entrenched Federal troops in the Battle of Franklin. Following the Civil War, the block was used primarily for commercial and industrial purposes. Notable enterprises included Holt's Service Station, J.W. Little's Dairy, Wilson Cheese Company, Middle Tennessee Electric Co-operative, Franklin Motel, Craig Lumber Company, and Henry Drilling Company.

(reverse)
Harpeth Square and Historic Neighbors
Harpeth Square, located on the northernmost of Franklin's 16 historic blocks, is adjacent to the original town spring (1801) at First Avenue and East Main Street. Just north of Harpeth Square on Bridge Street once stood White's Inn, built by Benjamin White in 1803, and considered one of Franklin's first hostelries.
Harpeth Square Marker (reverse) image. Click for full size.
August 12, 2020
2. Harpeth Square Marker (reverse)
There were 12 lots in the original block, most initially acquired for residences. As early as 1825, however, the first steam-powered loom in Tennessee was housed at the end of East Main Street. Commercial businesses gradually replaced the original buildings, leaving today only three 19th century structures, the most prominent of which is the Old Factory Store (1825). On East Main Street, the Shea house (1811) was torn down in 1950 and the Taylor home (1813) was demolished in 1929.
 
Erected 2019 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureBridges & ViaductsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 35° 55.57′ N, 86° 52.063′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on 2nd Avenue North north of East Main Street (Tennessee Route 6), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 2nd Ave N, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Philip Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); John H. Eaton (within shouting distance of this marker); Original St. Philip Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Headquarters
Harpeth Square Marker image. Click for full size.
August 12, 2020
3. Harpeth Square Marker
The Harpeth Hotel is visible in background.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Old Factory Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fifth Third Bank (about 300 feet away); Historic Franklin Masonic Hall (about 400 feet away); Masonic Temple (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Harpeth Square Marker image. Click for full size.
August 12, 2020
4. Harpeth Square Marker
Landmark Community Bank and Shadow of Harpeth (art installation/bicycle rack) visible in background.
"Shadow of the Harpeth" Art Installation and Bicycle Rack, adjacent to Harpeth Square Marker image. Click for full size.
August 12, 2020
5. "Shadow of the Harpeth" Art Installation and Bicycle Rack, adjacent to Harpeth Square Marker
"Shadow of the Harpeth" by Duncan McDaniel A public art installation that serves as a bike rack and as a tribute to the heritage and importance of the Harpeth River in Franklin, TN. Commissioned by Leadership Franklin 2019
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2020. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 12, 2020. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021