Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wheatland Cemetery has served this area since the mid-1800s. Originally named the Branson-Brotherton Cemetery, this burial ground is on property donated by Tom Branson and H.K. Brotherton. The two men, Ohio natives, both were farmers and owners of large tracts of land and are buried here.
The cemetery also has roots with Methodist congregations. Organized in the 1840s, the first Methodist church in this area was Wesley Chapel. The church moved here in 1864 to the community of Sprouls' Corner (Sprowls' Corner), which residents soon renamed Wheatland. Wesley Chapel also changed names to Wheatland Methodist Church. The congregation met on the land donated by Branson and Brotherton.
Although formally established in 1872, this cemetery contains a number of earlier burials, including some who were reinterred from the Wesley Chapel burial ground. Burials here include area pioneers, farmers, community leaders, veterans of conflicts dating to the Mexican American War (1846-48), and victims of flu, malaria and diphtheria epidemics in the community. The cemetery contains fraternal organization gravestones, vertical stones and curbing.
Historic Texas Cemetery – 2006
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15044.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 39′ N, 96° 51.354′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from South Hampton Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7950 S Hampton Road, Dallas TX 75232, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wheatland Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Daniel Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Oak Cliff Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Nance Farm (approx. 2.6 miles away); History of the Duncanville Historical Park WindmillMusic Room (approx. 2.9 miles away); Duncanville (approx. 3 miles away); John C. Pelt (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 12, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.