Mackinaw City in Cheboygan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fog Signal Station
Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
This interesting building with its tall chimney and copper roof was built in 1890, two years before the construction of the Old Mackinaw Point Lighthouse next door. It was built to house the large steam operated fog signal. The deep booming sound of the signal could be heard for miles in bad weather to guide ships when the beam from the lighthouses could not be seen.
The great fog signal was finally silenced when the Mackinac Bridge was built in 1957 and fitted with its own fog horn.
Old Mackinaw Point, from the dock.
Fog Signal station, Old Mackinaw Point.
Erected by Mackinaw City Historical Pathway. (Marker Number 28.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 45° 47.273′ N, 84° 43.744′ W. Marker is in Mackinaw City, Michigan, in Cheboygan County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Huron Avenue and Ducharme Street when traveling north. Marker is located along Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 518 North Huron Avenue, Mackinaw City MI 49701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lighthouses of the Mackinac Straits (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Shipwrecks in the Straits (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crossroads of the Great Lakes (about 300 feet away); Building Mighty Mac (about 400 feet away); Graveyard of the Deep (about 400 feet away); Alexander Henry 1739 - 1834 (about 500 feet away); Alexander Henry Park Kiosk (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mackinaw City.
Also see . . . The Fog Whistle. Mackinac State Historic Parks entry:
A fog whistle was actually the first thing built at Old Mackinac Point, going into operation in 1890, two years before the lighthouse itself was completed. The original fog whistle consisted of a corrugated metal building housing two locomotive-style steam boilers. Two 10-inch diameter steam whistles were mounted above the roof. Only one whistle and boiler were used at a time, with the other maintained as a redundant backup system. In 1906 the Lighthouse Service replaced the original fog whistle building with a new brick structure housing the old machinery. (Submitted on August 14, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 13, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 14, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.