Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Old Shawneetown in Gallatin County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Kaskaskia-Shawneetown and Goshen Trails

 
 
Kaskaskia-Shawneetown and Goshen Trails Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, August 11, 2020
1. Kaskaskia-Shawneetown and Goshen Trails Marker
Inscription.  In 1816 Congress appropriated $8000 to survey and construct a road from Kaskaskia on the Mississippi to Shawneetown on the Ohio. It became an important East-West thoroughfare for settlers entering the Illinois Territory. At this point the Goshen Trail, which ran from the Goshen Settlement near Edwardsville to the Salines, near Equality, joined the Kaskaskia-Shawneetown Trail.
 
Erected 1957 by Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 37° 41.767′ N, 88° 8.108′ W. Marker is in Old Shawneetown, Illinois, in Gallatin County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Old Shawneetown Road, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 280 Washington St, Shawneetown IL 62984, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis and Clark in Illinois (here, next to this marker); Lewis & Clark Expedition (here, next to this marker);
Kaskaskia-Shawneetown and Goshen Trails Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, August 11, 2020
2. Kaskaskia-Shawneetown and Goshen Trails Marker
Marker is next to Lewis & Clark Expedition-related markers
The Spirit of Shawneetown (within shouting distance of this marker); Rawlings' Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); General Logan's Marriage (about 400 feet away); Marshall House (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Michael K. Lawler (approx. 3.1 miles away); James Harrison Wilson (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Old Shawneetown.
 
More about this marker. Marker was originally installed in Saline County, Illinois (off Illinois Route 142 outside Eldorado) in 1957. Sometime between 1957 and 1965 it was removed or stolen and its whereabouts were unknown. A new marker was cast and installed at the original marker's site in 1965. The original marker was discovered in 2018 at the bottom of a pond encased in mud. The man who found the marker, Art Heath, took it upon himself to refurbish the marker, as well as making arrangements for the re-dedication/re-installation ceremony that took place at its current spot on June 17, 2018.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021