Woodland in Yolo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
1859 - 1950
Dedicated April 2, 1950 by Woodland Parlor No. 90 Native Daughters of the Golden West
In memory of Frank S. Freeman, first Postmaster, and his wife, Gertrude S. Freeman, who named the City of Woodland
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 2, 1950.
Location. 38° 40.665′ N, 121° 46.08′ W. Marker is in Woodland, California, in Yolo County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 Main Street, Woodland CA 95695, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Krellenberg Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Yolo County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Yolo County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Woodland Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Main and Second Street 1920’s (approx. ¼ mile away); Woodland begins (approx. ¼ mile away); Capital Hotel, Est. 1869 (approx. ¼ mile away); Corner Drug Company Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodland.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted to a rock just south of the bandstand, by the flagpole.
Also see . . . A Brief History of Woodland (strollthroughhistory.com). "...Freeman arrived in Yolo County in 1857, bought Wyckoff’s store, acquired 160 acres of land, and began developing a town he dreamed would someday be a trading center for one of the richest grain-growing counties in the nation.... Freeman first petitioned for a U.S. Post Office, which his wife Gertrude wanted to name Woodland “on account of the wooded country about.” The Woodland Post Office was established in 1861, and Freeman was appointed Postmaster. Then he busily promoted his town by building shops and businesses which he leased or sold to enterprising merchants. And his town began to grow...." (Submitted on August 13, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.