Near Henrico in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Union Defensive Lines
Fort Brady to Fort Burnham
— Fort Brady - 1864 —
Once the fortifications were completed, Union soldiers, including United States Colored Troops shown in this 1865 photograph, occupied these earthworks until the end of the war.
Erected by Richmond National Battlefield Park - National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is September 2003.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 37° 23.526′ N, 77° 21.647′ W. Marker is near Henrico, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is on Hoke Brady Road, on the left when traveling south. Marker is in the parking lot of Fort Brady Unit of Richmond National Battlefield Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henrico VA 23231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Fort Brady Trail (a few steps from this marker); Fort Brady (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Trent's Reach (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Inside Fort Brady (about 300 feet away); Powder Magazine (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Powder Magazine (about 400 feet away); Guns of Fort Brady (about 400 feet away); Guarding the River (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henrico.
More about this marker. The right of the marker contains the war-time photograph mentioned in the marker text. Below this is a map of a walking trail through Fort Brady. The left side of the marker features a map of the line of Union fortifications from Fort Brady (site of the marker) to Fort Burnham (site of Confederate Fort Harrison).
Regarding Union Defensive Lines. This marker was replaced by a new one named Fort Brady Trail (See nearby markers).
Also see . . . Battlefield Tour - Ft Gilmer to Ft Brady. Richmond National Battlefield Park website. (Submitted on January 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 751 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.