Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bachman's Battery - Henry's Battalion
Hood's Division - Longstreet's Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
Longstreet's Corps Hood's Division
Henry's Battalion Bachman's Battery
The German Artillery
July 2 In reserve near here but not engaged.
July 3 In position here and actively engaged in firing upon the Union lines within range. About 5 p.m. aided in repelling cavalry under Brig. Gen. Farnsworth which had charged into the valley between this point and Round Top.
July 4 Occupied position near by and west of this until 6 p.m. Then withdrew from the field.
Losses not reported in detail.
Erected 1910 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1766.
Location. 39° 47.345′ N, 77° 15.232′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on South Confederate Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Located in the Warfield Ridge section of Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Benning's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hood's Division (about 500 feet away); Henry's Battalion (about 500 feet away); Touring the Battlefield (about 500 feet away); Hood's Texas Brigade (about 500 feet away); Latham's Battery - Henry's Battalion (about 500 feet away); Robertson's Brigade (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,025 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.