Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ebenezer United Methodist Church

 
 
Ebenezer United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
1. Ebenezer United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  The first meetings of this congregation were held in the homes of its members. In 1824 a stone church building was erected at this location. The growth of the congregation resulted in the replacement of the original building by a one-story frame structure in 1859. Formerly a part of the Hockessin Charge, Ebenezer became a separate station in 1897. A parsonage was constructed soon thereafter. It would serve as home for the church's ministers until it was dismantled in 1968.
With the spread of suburban settlement during the decade of the 1950's, the congregation began to outgrow its facilities once again. Additional property was purchased in 1954, and a new Education Building was completed in 1964. Continued growth resulted in the construction of the present sanctuary in 1975-76. A Christian Life Center was subsequently completed in 1993. For a time the old frame church was utilized for Sunday School classes, and as a meeting place for the local Korean United Methodist congregation. After many years of service to the church and community, the building was demolished in 1998.
 
Erected 1999 by Delaware
Ebenezer United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
2. Ebenezer United Methodist Church
Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-104.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list.
 
Location. 39° 44.023′ N, 75° 43.029′ W. Marker is near Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Polly Drummond Hill Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is in the church parking lot in front of the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 525 Polly Drummond Hill Road, Newark DE 19711, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eastburn-Jeanes Mining Complex (approx. half a mile away); Original Site of the White Clay Creek Presbyterian Church (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Judge Morris Estate (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Judge Morris Estate (approx. 2.2 miles away); The William Montgomery House (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Daniel Nichols House (approx. 2˝ miles away); Robert Kirkwood, Jr. (approx. 2.6 miles away); Meeteer House (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Ebenezer Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
3. Ebenezer Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,679 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on August 19, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021