St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
This cemetery was most likely established after the Civil War to serve the settlement of Bakersville. The cemetery was used by both black and white members of the community, with black families buried in the eastern half of the property. The earliest marked death date is 1869, though many graves are unmarked. Originally named Bakersville Cemetery, the cemetery’s present name reflects the legacy of the Sanks family of African-American heritage. The first Sanks to settle in the region was Peter Sanks , born a slave in 1819. Following emancipation, Peter purchased large tracks of land in this area. His son, Tip Harrison Sanks, was born in St. Johns County in 1841. Tip also purchased land in the area following the Civil War including this cemetery, acquired in 1901.. Tip’s daughter, Julia, became custodian after his death and the cemetery has remained in the Sanks family. Julia is thought to be the inspiration for the black-inspired works of composer Frederick Delius (1862-1934) who heard her singing when he lived near hear in Solano Groves on the St. Johns River. Lewis Sanks, Tip’s grandson, honored his ancestors buried here, by renaming the
Erected 2006 by The St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-594.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 29° 54.936′ N, 81° 31.695′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is on Joe Ashton Road 0.1 miles south of County Road 208, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2380 Joe Ashton Road, Saint Augustine FL 32092, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Picolata (approx. 3.9 miles away); William Bartram's Plantation (approx. 7.1 miles away); Fort San Fransisco de Pupo (approx. 7.4 miles away); The Bellamy Road (approx. 9.4 miles away); St. Ambrose Parish (approx. 10.1 miles away); Green Cove Springs (approx. 10.4 miles away); Dr. Applegate House (approx. 10˝ miles away); Our Native Son Lieutenant General Ronald L. Bailey (approx. 10.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 20, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.