Near Stinnett in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In the late 1890s Texas enacted colonization and homestead laws that significantly quickened the settlement of the then sparsely populated Panhandle region of North Texas. Hutchinson County soon recorded the required 150 applications for land purchases in the county to formally organize in 1901. In 1903 early county settlers Benjamin and Birda May (Kirk) Holt donated seven acres here to be used as the site of a community schoolhouse and cemetery. The first person buried here was Nola Storrs in 1909.
A new schoolhouse was built here in 1916 and in 1917 the Holts legally recorded their 7-acre donation. Five acres were set aside for school purposes and two acres for the cemetery, which at that time contained about 11 gravesites. When Holt School trustees deeded the school's five acres and vacated schoolhouse to the Holt Cemetery Association in 1948, about an acre of this property was converted for cemetery use.
In 1907 the cemetery association established policies governing the use of this site. The cemetery, which continues to serve the local community, contains the gravesites of many of this area's first settlers and those
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2514.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 36° 1.431′ N, 101° 13.822′ W. Marker is near Stinnett, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker is on County Highway 22 0.1 miles from Farm to Market Road 281, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stinnett TX 79083, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holt School (within shouting distance of this marker); Drift Fence (within shouting distance of this marker); Adobe Walls Battle Ground (approx. 9.8 miles away); a different marker also named Drift Fence (approx. 10.7 miles away); Lindberghs Land at Spearman (approx. 10.8 miles away); Santa Fe Railroad Stationmaster's House (approx. 12.1 miles away); Spearman (approx. 12.2 miles away); Robert E. (Bob) Martin (approx. 12.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stinnett.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.