Near Paducah in Cottle County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cee Vee Cemetery
The Cee Vee community dates to 1926, with earlier ties to cattlemen Clairborne Varner and Charles Goodnight, who grazed herds in the area using the C V brand. As ranchland gave way to family farms, the community that developed here soon boasted a cotton gin, stores, churches and a school.
Tradition holds the first grave at this prairie cemetery was that of a cowboy buried near the C V ranch house. The earliest marked grave is for Eugene Ballard, who died in 1931, the year W.J. Tyson donated land for the cemetery.
In the 1950s, the Cee Vee Home Demonstration Club named the site Haven of Rest Cemetery. Citizens donated funds for a fence, and over the years burial sites have remained free.
Graves include those of veterans of U.S. military service dating to World Wars I and II. Curbed plots enclose the burials of family members whose names reflect the early history of the area. Maintained by an association, Cee Vee Cemetery (Haven of Rest Cemetery) serves as an important link to the early history of this part of Cottle County.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 34° 13.382′ N, 100° 26.181′ W. Marker is near Paducah, Texas, in Cottle County. Marker is on Ranch to Market Road 1440 7.8 miles west of U.S. 62, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paducah TX 79248, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. CV Ranch and Cee Vee Community (approx. 0.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.