Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Benicia in Solano County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Camel Barns

Built in 1853 and 1854 Cost $10,000 and $12,000

 
 
Camel Barns Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 20, 2009
1. Camel Barns Marker
Inscription.  These finely crafted sandstone buildings were originally constructed for use as warehouses. They gained their name and fame, however, during a brief period in 1863-64 when they were used to stable a herd of camels imported by the U.S. Army for transportation in the American desert.
 
Erected by Benicia Historical Museum.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureMilitary.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 3.187′ N, 122° 8.056′ W. Marker was in Benicia, California, in Solano County. Marker could be reached from Park Road. From the Benicia Arsenal Site take Park Road up the hill and follow the signs to the Camel Barns. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Benicia CA 94510, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Commandant's Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gen. Quandt Lane (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1849 - Benicia Arsenal – 1964 (approx. half a mile away); Clock Tower (approx. half a mile away); World War I Memorial
The Captain Charles P. Stone Hall image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 20, 2009
2. The Captain Charles P. Stone Hall
(approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of Benicia Seminary (approx. 1.2 miles away); 1854 – Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church – 1954 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Benicia.
 
More about this marker. Marker is mounted on the front wall of the Captain Charles P. Stone Hall
 
Regarding Camel Barns. The Benicia Camel Barns are now the site of the Benicia Historical Museum.

See "Nearby Marker" 1849-Benicia Arsenal-1964 for Additional Information
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A series of markers documenting the Army's Great Western Camel Experiment.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Benicia Historical Museum – History of Benicia Arsenal. (Submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
2. The Benicia Historical Museum Camel Barns Site. (Submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Camel Barns 1853 – 1854
The curious name for these sizable sandstone warehouses has an even more unbelievable origin. Camels were imported by the Army in 1856-57 to transport military supplies and materials
North End of the Captain Charles P. Stone Hall and Camel Barn image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 20, 2009
3. North End of the Captain Charles P. Stone Hall and Camel Barn
into the Southwest desert. The “experiment” was terminated in 1863 leaving the Army with 35 surplus camels. The herd was driven to Benicia and housed in these storehouses until they were auctioned off in 1864.
Source: Historic Benicia Walking Tour Brochure
    — Submitted February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
 
Back View of the Captain Charles P.Stone Hall and Camel Barn image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 20, 2009
4. Back View of the Captain Charles P.Stone Hall and Camel Barn
South End of Second Camel Barn image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 20, 2009
5. South End of Second Camel Barn
Second Camel Barn image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 20, 2009
6. Second Camel Barn
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2009. This page has been viewed 5,840 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on August 23, 2020, by Diane Phillips of Pittsburg, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021