Near Morton in Cochran County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Morton Memorial Cemetery
The use of this site as a burial ground began in 1923 when a traveling family camped here and their baby became ill and died. Other burials followed, and in 1932 Landowner Morton J. Smith deeded ten acres to the city of Morton for cemetery use. An association was formed in 1942, and the site grew with additional land donations and purchases in subsequent years. It was designated a county facility in 1977, enabling the Commissioner’s Court to levy a cemetery tax to support the upkeep and maintenance of this hallowed ground that honors more than 300 veterans and is a chronicle of the heritage of Cochran County.
Historic Texas Cemetery – 2001
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16171.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
Location. 33° 44.624′ N, 102° 45.555′ W. Marker is near Morton, Texas, in Cochran County. Marker is on State Highway 214, 1.3 miles north of Washington Avenue (State Highway 114), on the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morton TX 79346, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buffalo Soldier Tragedy of 1877 (within shouting distance of this marker); Cochran County (approx. 1.2 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 1.4 miles away); Slaughter Ranch Headquarters (approx. 3.7 miles away); Enochs Cemetery (approx. 8.8 miles away); La Pista de Vida Agua (approx. 11.7 miles away); Maple Cemetery (approx. 11.8 miles away); Former Whiteface Motel (approx. 13 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morton.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2014. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on August 29, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 12, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.