Near Morton Valley in Stephens County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Records indicate that Gunsight existed on a wagon road from Fort Griffin to Stephenville in 1858. Settlement of the town, however, did not occur until the 1870s. The first recorded burial here was that of Lewis McCleskey is 1877. Gunsight developed as a stage stop and by 1880 contained a post office, school, two churches, gristmill, general store, and a cotton gin. The local economy, sustained by cotton farming and ranching, was boosted by an area oil boom in the 1920s. The town began a steady decline after World War II and today consists of a few houses, a few buildings, and this cemetery.
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2306.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 32.447′ N, 98° 52.4′ W. Marker is near Morton Valley, Texas, in Stephens County. Marker is on County Road 157 (County Highway 157) 2 miles east of U.S. 183, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Half-Way Oak (approx. 1.9 miles away); Last Mob Lynching in the State of Texas (approx. 10.1 miles away); Connellee - Majestic Theatre (approx. 10.1 miles away); Camp Salmon / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (approx. 10.2 miles away); Eastland County World War I Memorial (approx. 10.2 miles away); Eastland County Courthouse (approx. 10.2 miles away); Eastland (approx. 10.2 miles away); Early Banking in Eastland (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Details of Gunsights community past. (Submitted on August 31, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on August 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.