“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Westend in Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Civil War in Lynchburg

Prisoner-of-War Camp

Civil War in Lynchburg Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, July 1, 2012
1. Civil War in Lynchburg Marker
Inscription.  This was the site of a Confederate training camp and Union prisoner-of-war camp during the Civil War. Before Virginia seceded from the Union in April 1861, the population of Lynchburg doubled with the influx of soldiers from other parts of the state, as well as from throughout the Confederacy. Virginians were housed at Camp Davis in Lynchburg, while other soldiers bivouacked here at the fairgrounds just outside the city.

At first, all prisoners-of-war were to be detained in Richmond, the Confederate capital, but the jails and warehouses there quickly filled. Auxiliary facilities were established elsewhere. Lynchburg was an obvious choice for a prisoner-of-war camp because of its superior rail system and its remoteness from the front lines.

Located on part of the fairgrounds, the camp was for Federal prisoners waiting to be exchanged. No medical services were available, and many deaths occurred in the camp before the autumn of 1862, when the sick and wounded were moved to hospitals in Lynchburg. After the exchange cartel ceased operating in the summer of 1863, the camp quickly became overcrowded. The
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
only permanent structures inside the enclosure were open stalls that had been used for livestock, so the prisoners were forced to live in them or in tents. Most of the Union dead were buried in the City Cemetery by the firm of George Diuguid and then, in October 1866, were re-interred at Poplar Grove National Cemetery in Petersburg. E.C. Glass High School now stands on the site of the prison camp.
Erected by Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1861.
Location. 37° 24.418′ N, 79° 9.978′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. It is in Westend. Marker is on Memorial Avenue (Virginia Route 163) near Park Lane, on the right when traveling north. It is on the grounds of E. C. Glass High School visible from the street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lucille Chaffin Kent (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edward Christian Glass (1852-1931) (about 300 feet away); Memorial Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mustered and Disbanded 1861-1865 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Second Virginia Cavalry, C.S.A.
Civil War in Lynchburg Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, July 1, 2012
2. Civil War in Lynchburg Marker
(approx. ¼ mile away); Dr. Robert Withers Morgan (approx. 0.3 miles away); Georgia Weston Morgan (approx. 0.3 miles away); Horse Drawn Road Grader (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
More about this marker. Marker has three photographs and to the right a map of the area during the Civil War. On the left is a photograph captioned “POW Chester A. Tourtellotte, 18th Connecticut Infantry — Courtesy The American Civil War Research Database”; center bottom is a portrait captioned “POW Pvt. Melker M. Jeffreys, 15th West Virginia Infantry — Courtesy Sally Thayer and family”; and center next to the map is a photograph captioned “POW camp scene, reenacted — Courtesy M. Ernest Marshall.”
Also see . . .  Taylor Wilson Camp Heritage Group. Shows plans for a monument to the prisoners-of-war. (Submitted on August 12, 2012.) 
Close-up of map on marker image. Click for full size.
3. Close-up of map on marker
Click on image to zoom in.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2012. This page has been viewed 1,349 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on August 31, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024